Friday, April 20, 2012

Funny how the people that send young men off to die in wars are the ones that would never go to war themselves. "When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die." That's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Does that mean the soldier's life is less valuable than the politician's? Does the rich man have a higher purpose or a more noble calling than the one who dies on the battlefield?

I enjoy reading the stories about medal of honor recipients. More medals have been awarded for jumping on grenades to save teammates than any other single act. Although there are few instances that soldiers have survived, it is almost a guaranteed death.
"Although only he could have escaped the blast, Petty Officer Monsoor chose instead to protect his teammates. Instantly and without regard for his own safety, he threw himself onto the grenade to absorb the force of the explosion with his body, saving the lives of his two teammates. By his undaunted courage, fighting spirit, and unwavering devotion to duty in the face of certain death, Petty Officer Monsoor gallantly gave his life for his country, thereby reflecting great credit upon himself and upholding the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service." CMOHS.org
In order to give up your life you have to love something or someone else more than yourself. The problem is that people love themselves too damn much. We don't know what love is because we don't know what sacrifice is. We say things like "I love the TV," and "I love ice cream." Did you know that the United States has the highest divorce rate in the world? These are not unrelated.

I don't mind rich people. And I don't have a problem with rich people that are cowards. What I do have a problem with is rich cowards who believe that the military is for the "lesser" people. Not in a hundred churches or cathedrals would you find someone jumping on a grenade to save their friends. It shouldn't be like that.

I love Jesus Christ with all my soul. And if I thought my local church came close to reflecting the life and love of Jesus, I might not have enlisted. But I think there is more to see and more to learn than I have been taught. I would love to think that I would jump on a grenade to save my friends. That I have that kind of selfless bravery.

"It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything" Fight Club

1 comment:

  1. Stephen!
    I'm glad i follow your blog because i feel like you dropped off the earth! We were talking about our Mexico trip last year and your silly accent (ha) and we prayed for you. I hope you're doing well! Email me sometime and tell me what you're doing.

    Chelseaa.millerr@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete